Home Page

Testimony &
  Parting Instructions




Family File

Photo Gallery


How to Contribute

Contact Us

Family Directors &

News & Updates

The Family File

Hyrum Don Carlos Clark

Life Sketch Of Hyrum Don Carlos Clark by Hyrum Don Carlos Clark

written March 1938

I was born 13 Feb. 1856, Farmington, Davis Co. Utah. My father's name is Ezra Thompson Clark. He was born 23 Nov. 1823 at Lawrence, Ill. His father's name is Timothy Baldwin Clark, his mother's name is Polly Keeler. My mother's maiden name is Mary Stevenson, she was born 23 Aug. 1825 at Gibralter Spain, her father's name is Joseph Stevenson, her mother's maiden name is Elizabeth Stevens.

I was blessed in Farmington Davis Co. Utah by ________. I was baptized in Farmington Davis Co. by ______ 1863 - in summer.

    Patriarchal Blessings:
    John Smith of Salt Lake City
    Charles Hyde " " " "
    John Smith " " " "
    Nicholas G. Smith " " "
    Ezra T. Clark Farmington
    Ray Thurman Grover, Wyoming, 5 Nov. 1922

My schooling commenced when about six yrs. old. in private homes in Farmington, about the first was in Amasa Lyman's home across the street from our home, taught by a Partrige or a Lyman woman both lived in the large home. Later I attended public schools taught by Hulda Kimball, Olvyrus Gleason in the old adobe schoolhouse, also Jacob Miller in old adobe school house. Later James T. Smith in what is now the Farmington (Bamberger Electric Rail Road) Station, then later to L.H. Kennard in old Rock School house, lastly I attended one term in S. L. City in company with Wm. H. Stevenson, in 1876, teachers John R. Park and Toronto. The town schools consisted of about three months in the winter.

The Rock Church in Farmington where Hyrum went to church at the beginning and end of his life.
About this time, 1876, Orson Rogers with me took the horses to Bear Lake, via Franklin, across the country northwest to Packers bridge, across Bear River, via Soda Springs. At that time, there were no settlers on that tract of country now occupied by Preston, Idaho.

In 1877-78 I went on a mission to the Southern States.

Nov. 11, 1880, I married Eliza Porter of Porterville, Morgan Co. Utah, in Salt Lake City, by Daniel H. Wells in Endowment House. I had been to Bear Lake in October to help bring the cattle from Georgetown as was the yearly custom, then we returned to Georgetown to see to calves and cattle and the horses in the place of my older brother Joseph who had brought his family down while we brought the stock and it was late to go with children. We left Dec. 1, 1880. Early snows made it difficult to get through the mountains to Georgetown via Soda Springs. Between Soda to Georgetown, 18 miles, the mail was stopped because of deep snow. We tipped over about 9 times between Soda and Georgetown, but got there in evening. We had about 100 head of horses to be wintered on ridges, by moving them on different ridges. I weaned 20 colts so the mares would stand it better, and fed the colts, calves and some stock.

In the spring, I put in crops and worked during the summer with Joseph (my brother) who came up in the spring with the stock, he also brought his family. We raised a good crop of grain. We moved in a log house I had traded for in the fall.

Hyrum Don Carlos Clark, second from left in back row, is shown with his brothers and sister and parents in this 1891 photograph.
I came back to Farmington with the stock and we lived during the winter in two west rooms of Mother's old home. In the spring after helping move the stock as far as Bear River where as was the custom to hold them until grass got good so to move them on up to Georgetown. I returned and with Sammy Porter, my brother-in-law, drove a light rig out to Goose Creek Valley to see the country with a view of moving out there as it was being settled at that time. H.D. Haight had been called to preside there, his son-in-law John Millard had moved, both from Farmington. I located up on Birch Creek above Oakley, Idaho. I built a house while Eliza and baby-Avery lived in a tent with me. Our baby having been born Mar. 9, 1882 at Farmington.

We lived in a tent while I went to the mountain and hauled out logs and built a house, then went up through to Georgetown and brought a few cattle I had, to my place on Birch Creek. Our home was about one and one-half miles southeast of Oakley on Birch Creek. I had been Secretary. of Y.M.M.I.A. at Oakley. I was ordained a High Priest by Robert Wilson, Dec. 1887, and set apart as 2nd Coun. to John L. Smith, Bishop. This was when the Casia Stake was organized with H.D. Haight as President.

Outlook not good

Hyrum and Eliza Clark and their growing family of five children are shown in this 1891 family photograph. Children included Avery, Mary, Hyrum T., Heber and Edna.
We lived there (on Birch Creek) six years, but the outlook was not good, not dependable, not enough water, a better country for sheep, and I wanted to raise and handle cattle, so we moved in the spring of 1888 to Star Valley, Wyoming, where I had gone on a trip alone to look at the country and a squatters claim offered for sale, which I arranged to buy between fall and spring. We moved in May, and I had a small bunch of cattle and a few loose horses, besides the four we used as a team. We trailed a wagon and an old carriage with our effects for housekeeping. We left a small orchard in blossom. We moved into a log cabin, two rooms and dirt roof, on a squatter's claim of 160 acres, this was on 28 May 1888.

Except a yard and shed, there was no fencing or improvements (except a privy and a well) on this squatter's claim. We now had four children, two sons, Hyrum T. and Heber, two daughters, Avery and Mary. I was 32 years old (Feb. 13, 1856, I was born). Here again we started to build a home and support for a family. Heber was a nursing baby. This claim contained about 100 acres meadow and 60 acres of light brush ground and a living spring, for stock in the meadow.

Ambrose Palmer, then a lad, was with me and helped with the stock. One night, we camped above Pocatello on or near an Indian Reservation, evidently the Indians stole a young horse from the bunch. When at Georgetown my brother John helped me via Bear Canyon to Elbow, as the roads were very bad up Montpelier Creek and over through the mountains.

We were now in a high altitude, long winters, cold and lots of snow and we were comparatively poor. Eliza dreaded to come, having previously wintered in Bear Lake in a very similar climate, but proved to make the best of it and supported me in good teamwork. I got a spinning wheel for her and wool bats, she spun yarn and knit socks for the family also for lincy [sic.] for under clothing for us.

After my haying, I went out to Georgetown to work and got flour for the family, I got wheat and borrowed more to make a grist to take to mill and then took it home, then I took a load of salt I had gathered up at the old Stump Salt works and traded for wheat and paid back and then more, so I only worked out a few days. I managed to work for myself, getting out timber and improving, and taking care of what I had, sold a few cattle and managed with economy to get along. The winter was very light and I had hay left over to next season.

Leaky roof

I built a lean-to, with dirt roof also, but it leaked. Edna was born in this condition. The winter was hard, long and disappointing, a great shortage of feed and food, heavy loss in cattle, and a backset to the valley. I had moved my brother-in-law, C.W. Porter, into the valley the fall before and we put up some hay over in John Day Valley which proved to be a death trap for part of our stock, so after the next summers work, I moved Eliza to Farmington where I could do some business handling my father's fat cows, and buying and selling more also. Eliza's health at this time was weakened. I moved her in the Phebe Peart home, which I shingled, fixed up her lot and put in a garden, then left it and moved back to Star Valley for the summer. My brother Charles' Annie moved in and had benefit of the garden. I let a neighbor have one half for taking care of it. C.W. Porter lived in my Star Valley home and had done some logging.

The next winter, I had Eliza back to Farmington when Porter was born in Jan. 8, 1892. A George Clark lived in my Star Valley home and fed my stock this winter and I was back and forth and moved back in the spring.

Altogether, I was gaining some. I remodeled the home, took dirt roof off, put new logs under and on top, shingled roof, made larger windows, made four rooms and lined them with lumber, factory and paper -- and I had six children.

I kept increasing my cattle and I bought more land. I bought Bernard Pary's one hundred sixty acres meadow joining east, got it on payments, it furnished me more hay. I kept on struggling, increasing my cattle and my family until I stocked up this addition to my ranch and also our home, so I proceeded towards a larger home. First I got the foundation in and the lumber on hand, hauled from Cottonwood Saw Mill, I had it built in 1901. Zula, our 10th child, was born in it Feb. 2, 1902, in the meantime, I had paid for the Parry Meadow, bought 640 acres mostly meadow of Mark Bigler and I was County Commissioner. Blanch, Morrell and Antone were also born in this home, the latter in 1908 (Jan. 6th).

Moved Eliza

In 1908, on account of Eliza's poor health, I contracted a house built in Farmington and moved her into it in the fall of 1908, her 13th child a nursing baby.

In the meantime, being successful and desiring to raise and provide for a large family, I took to wife Mary Robinson in 1903. After providing a new home for Eliza in Farmington, I moved Mary into the home on the ranch where Carlos, her 4th child, was born in Feb. 4, 1911.

Up to this time, and among many other things, Avery, Mary, Hyrum T., Heber, Edna and Porter had been sent to B.Y.U. College at Logan. Avery and Mary married, Hyrum T. been on a mission to Central States and Married to Luemma Cox, Heber on a mission to Eastern States, he left in 1909 and returned in 1911, the year Carlos was born as stated above. Then in Nov. 1912, Alma Porter went on a mission to Eastern States Mission and returned in 1914 in Dec. Then, in 1919, Elwin went on a mission to Australia and returned Aug. 1921. In Feb. 1928, Weston R. went on a mission to England and returned Mar. 1930. Morrell left on a mission to Germany Nov. 1929 and returned July 1932.

After moving to Farmington in 1908, I sent Edna, Porter, Rachel (Thelma), Rhoda and Elwin to either L.D.S. schools in Salt Lake City or Provo. Elwin, Zula, Blanch, Morrell and Antone attended school here in Farmington and Davis High and later at Provo or A.C. at Logan except Zula, this was while they were under my supervision.

Soon after Hyrum T., Heber, Elwin, Weston and Morrell returned from missions, they married. Edna married in 1910 to Ephrim Erickson and accompanied him to Chicago where he was finishing his Dr. degree.

In moving to Farmington (in 1908) with only part of my family raised, I bought more land, built a hay-cow barn so my boys could milk and go to school (also a silo) here at Farmington.

My time was divided between my ranch in Star Valley and farm at Farmington, also my two families. For a time, I paid part tithing at each place. In fact, I went on a short time mission from Auburn in 1927 to North California or San Francisco, while there, Eliza died suddenly at the Farmington home, her health having been poorly for some time. She died June 12, 1927. I was released then to return after an absence of 5 months 7 days. Pres. Jos. W. McMurin of the California Mission attended and spoke at her funeral, also others.

Mary and the family, except Herma and Weston, were at Afton and the children in school there. Herma had married Byron T. Smith, Oct. 4, 1922 and gone, Weston was attending school in Logan A.C. College.

Two homes in Logan
This picture was taken of HyD in the mission field.

I had bought two homes in Logan, Mary lived in one (Nov. 1919 to June 1922) and I rented the other, then moved her back to the ranch and rented both homes, then moved her back to Logan in fall of 1927 into the home 3rd No. 79 West. Weston had been called on a mission to Eng. in fall of 1927 and left Feb. 4, 1928. We moved into the frame house at Farmington in Feb. 1928.

It is now Mar. 30, 1938, I have been writing this, I have been writing while Mary is in bed, just returned from L.D.S. Hospital from a serious operation, I having a cold and the weather being wintry. I have done some reading and writing, and have a Sister Rogers attending Mary. Carlos, wife and two children live in west part of house.

In a few days it will be two years since I returned home from my mission to Calif. (5 Jan. 1934 - 3 Apr. 1936). Mary had been living in S. L. City with Herma and family while I was on my mission for two years three months. Hazel was working at beauty culture in the City, Carlos and other boys were married. When I returned, I moved Mary back to Farmington where we had lived before going. I put in and raised a garden and went to the temple some and worked for Hap Robinson mowing hay. I also had up part of my lot to lucern and raised a crop, had a fresh cow, and calf. Clyde Wilcox had raised from a calf while I was on my mission. Carlos had been east selling goods and his wife and baby lived with her folks, he now returned and lived in part of the house, we fixed the home for two families and they live in the west part, and are still living there. He worked at the Floral and Lagoon and some for Hap Robinson. I helped at haying and last fall plowed for Orson Clark after having plowed beets for Hap, Wallace and Orson. I plowed Orson's field, a field for E.B. Clark north of lane and some on Cottrel field, and some four or five acres for myself down over the D.& R.G. Railroad during the fall and this winter.

Addendum added by a son Carlos R. Clark

In the evening of June 4, 1938, Father (Hyrum D. Clark) met with a fatal accident, he was struck down by a boy and his bicycle while crossing the street. He died a month later in the Dee Memorial Hospital in Ogden. The funeral was on July 6, 1938 in the Old Rock Chapel in Farmington.

This picture of Hyrum Don Carlos Clark working in the hayfield was taken the day before he was hit by a bike on June 4, 1938, which resulted in his death. It was taken by his son Carlos.

Hyrum Don Carlos Clark Main Page